Sign up today for 20 days of 20 minutes of yoga and 20 minutes of meditation! Let’s transform together. Walk your talk and become the change you want to see. Whatever goal you set, make it happen with complete alignment of mind, body and soul through mindfulness, movement and meditation. Sign up at thesevenseeds.ca
Cold and flu season has arrived, and with that comes the runny nose, sneezing, sore throat and worst of it all, the dreaded body aches.
Did you know that when you are inflicted by a virus, your white blood cells rush to attack that virus, leaving your body unable to fend off inflammation? The level of pain you experience could be an indication of the amount of inflammation that your body is fighting on a daily basis. Which, could also be an indication of some lifestyle changes that are calling. Below are some remedies that can be used not only during and illness, but also before it strikes.
- Fluids – Say yes to chicken soup, and be sure to add turmeric, ginger, carrot and celery. You can also juice those four ingredients together and skip the soup. The combination is full of essential, disease-fighting nutrients, as well as is anti-inflammatory. If you need a little sweetener, studies have shown that honey really can be effective, especially for children. So the honey-lemon tea, like Grandma used to make, is still a good idea. Electrolyte drinks are also a good choice if for any reason dehydration is a concern. When choosing, look for ones that have the least amount of sugar and most vitamin C. The little packets full of nutrients can be added to a water bottle anytime. Do your part in keeping your cells fed and hydrated so that they can work optimally in keeping you healthy.
- Hot water bottle or a heating pad – Warmth on an aching body is like a mother’s kiss, it feels really good and it works. Heat can be placed where ever there is need of some extra love: chest, feet, upper back, lower back or neck. Mini bolsters filled with buckwheat are the perfect size and fit for all types of aches and all sizes of people. You can add an essential oil scent and move your heat around providing warmth to various body parts to help release tension . If you don’t have either, Grandma used to warm towels in the microwave and place them on my body with some vapo-rub. It felt like heaven.
- Infrared Sauna – If you are visiting a spa or pool where there is an infrared, be sure to try it out to help stave off any lingering, unwanted bugs. You can even purchase your own small infrared sauna for your home. Infrareds kill the bugs in your body from the inside out and offers relief to achy muscles.
- Reflexology with Oregano oil – Rubbing oregano oil on the soles of your feet is a great idea before bed, just be sure to cover your feet with socks or your bed will smell like an Italian restaurant. Oregano oil has wonderful “anti” benefits such as anti-biotic, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory. When the oil is rubbed on the soles of the feet it is absorbed up through the body and is one of the best ways to receive the nutrients without causing any stomach issues that can occur when oregano supplements are taken. Therapeutic reflexology can offer assistance and relief to the many parts of the body being affected, as well as help to remove toxins. You can focus on specific areas, such as head sinuses or chest, which are the toes and pads of the feet, but working the entire foot is always the most effective. Book a reflexology appointment or find out more.
- Bath with Epson salts or Baking Soda – Help your body remove toxins by bathing in salts. Epsom salts are also high in magnesium, which can provide muscle ache relief. Add a couple of drops of lavender to help soothe and relax the body.
- Warm Mist Humidifier – My personal preference is warm because the water gets boiled, which kills any bacteria. Adding some eucalyptus drops to the vapour dish helps to open up those sinuses. Again, Grandma used to boil water on the stove and let me inhale standing over it for a couple of minutes before my honey-lemon tea – just saying.
- 20 minute Yoga and 20 minute meditation – Even through illness, 20 minutes of light yoga and meditation that involves chest opening – or entire spine opening, helps to bring in and carry oxygen throughout the body. Yoga helps to flush out toxins and strengthens the body so it can function optimally. Open and release – as you do, take in healing breaths and positive thoughts. Lying in bed can start to feel depressing after a while and it is good to move and reconnect and find gratitude with, and for, your body, mind and soul.
One week to ten days is a normal cold or flu cycle; the worst day is usually day three. There are many reasons to contact your doctor, including extremely high fever, dehydration due to diarrhea or vomiting especially those with compromised immune systems or under a doctor’s care already for any reason. These are my favourites for non-severe illnesses and symptoms and are not intended to take place of a professional’s advice or seeking medical attention. There are also numerous over the counter medications to help with sleep, pain and nausea as well there are anti-viral prescription medications that are very effective.
It is not possible to get to mid-life and not have experienced some sort of trauma; whether that be physical, emotional or mental. That is what makes us perfectly human. Exercise is proven to be medicinal for healing, but some disorders such as chronic fatigue syndrome, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) – or a recovery of any kind, often requires times of less intensity and more gentleness.Continue reading “Bringing Simplicity Back – Thank You Dixie”
At first one may wonder how it can be. And yet, really, how can it not?
In her book, Reflexology For Every Body, she describes reflexology as applying pressure to points on the hands, feet or ears, which sends messages to the corresponding body parts. The parts then begin to let go of excess tension, blood flows in, wastes are removed and circulation is normalized. “The body begins to heal itself.”
“Your feet are like opening a book, they tell about your life and everything that has happened to you,” explains 64-year-old Cosway-Hayes, who resides in Cochrane, Alberta.
As the story is told connections are made and normalizing takes place. From emotions to physical injuries “it all comes out.” As clients observe their own body during a session, some describe a sensation on their foot, while others tell of sensations directly in the corresponding part of the body.Continue reading “Reflexology Offers Empowerment”
Take this QUIZ to help lead you to your purpose in your occupational aspect of wellness. Choose one word for each of the following questions. Be honest, be dynamic and dreamy!
- What is important for you to be physically or for your physical aspect of wellness?
- What do you want for your relationships or out of your social aspect of wellness?
- What do you hope your intelligence says about you or your wisdom, for your intellectual aspect of wellness?
- What do you want out of your life’s work – your occupational aspect of wellness?
- What do you need to be surrounded by to be your best, which is environmental aspect of wellness?
- What do you really want to feel in your overall emotional aspect of wellness?
- What is your essence? What word did you choose as a prayer or intention for your spiritual aspect of wellness? or Discover your essence.
Use your own words to fill in the blanks. You may need to add or change a suffix to make the sentences lucid.Continue reading “Discover Your Purpose QUIZ”
Essence is the flavour of the juice that is squeezed from the fruit. It was who you were at birth, who you are now and who you will become. It is also what you require to thrive in life.
Take a moment to envision yourself on your dream vacation. You are fit, healthy and fully alive. You have not a single worry at home, everything is taken care of. The vacation is fully paid for, you have unlimited money to do anything you want, and you can stay as long as you want. Picture where you would be and what you would be doing. Who is with you? What surrounds you? Imagine what it feels like to have accomplished what you have to get to where you are without any fears or burdens – in this perfect moment.
You have also been given an amazing gift of knowledge and understanding of all. And yet, you are completely unattached to any of it. The thoughts and realizations pass through you like a warm breeze and make you smile because of the absolute, yet simple perfection.
As all of this knowing flows in and around you, you also have an understanding of who you are. You realize your essence. It is what is inside of you that has sustained you and provided you with the inspiration to grow.Continue reading “Discover Your Essence”
This section may serve as a week of readings or simply as a reference. The intention is to present the basics of the chakras—the connection between our physical bodies and our emotional and spiritual selves.
My hope is that you come away with an understanding of the importance of remaining open to allow for a steady flow in each area of the body for overall optimum health and wellness. I am going to refer only to the seven main chakras in the body. To keep it simple, the basic chakra colours are the same as the seven colours of the rainbow.
It is common to feel strange emotions after an opening or a release in a chakra. It may be a sense of overwhelming peace, joy, or even sadness or anger. It means you may have experienced a release in your physical body and is an indicator of where to look for further balance or healing. So, please give yourself grace as you journey towards true healing. Also note that chakras flow up and down from one to the other. Therefore, if you do have a release in a chakra that has been blocked, the chakras connected to it are going to feel the flood like a dam that has burst, and they too will then call for you to steady the flow.Continue reading “The Seven Chakras – Body, Mind, Soul Connection”
Sample Day: Humble Warrior
On the path towards our dreams sometimes we must reconnect. The word stray is a significant word on this journey to our dreams. One of its synonyms is isolate, which is very telling as to what happens when we are lost in life. When one has wandered too far in a wrong direction there is a loss of connection with one’s self, others and the Universe – with God. Isolation leaves us vulnerable to become preyed upon and fall victim. And it can occur in any aspect of wellness.Continue reading “Sample Day – 20-20 Yoga and Meditation – Dancing Warrior”
SUNDAY: SPIRITUAL: Surrender to the “Whys” with a “Thank You”
As you write this week I hope you will keep in mind that as we strive to live with acceptance, boundaries must also be taken into consideration. Connect with that place where you end, and where another begins. Sometimes it is hard to see the lines because of the blending, which is good, which is not good, which is neither – it just is.Continue reading “Acceptance vs Boundaries”
There are many ways to reach or attain a goal, choosing the path that will bring you the most joy in the process is what true living is all about. If the end result is going to be the same, it is in how you get there that will really count. So decide what seeds you are going to plant by visualizing your endgame, be sure what you are planting can withstand your potential elements and know that when they do fully bloom you may be in a new place and time (or in my case thyme) – and live.Continue reading “A New Place and Thyme”